[lbo-talk] Definition of nation (was as if on cue)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 5 07:49:32 PST 2011

WS] And for the record, based on my reading of history, I do believe that if any progress is to be made - it will be made through parliamentary institutions. . .

But no Progress is going to be made. That is a 19th-c superstition. History is not and never has been linear.

Revolution does not represent progress; it represents an attempt to gain some free space within which humans can, at least for the time being, take control of their history. No guarantees: that would presuppose a crystal ball, as does your faith in parliamentary institutions. Consider the terrible misery and death which France, England, and the U.S. have imposed on the world and often on their own populations over the last two centuries. Include in that record of horror (for example) the refusal of FDR & Churchill to order the bombing of the railroad lines leading to the death camps. Consider the famines imposed on India, Ireland, etc. by the Parliament of England. Consider the endless misery first England and then the U.S. imposed on the people of Latin America. Consider the ravaging of Africa by (mostly) England and France. Consider U.S. slavery and Jim Crow. Consider Hiroshima. Consider French rule in Algeria. Consider Apartheid. Consider the pacification of the Philippines in the first decade of the 20th-c under Roosevelt and Taft. Consider Wilson showing Birth of a Nation in the White House, not primarily as a great film but as a true reflection of a desirable historical event. Consider the horrors of WW1. (We will 'give' WW2 to non-parliamentary states, though there are complexities in the coming of that war.

Endless horror and destruction. That is what your precious parliamentary regimes have imposed on the world. What makes you think they will suddenly blossom into the utopia of Progress.

Carrol