[lbo-talk] multiculturalism? really?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:03:27 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:38 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/5/2011 2:13 PM, Alan Rudy wrote:
>
> So, uh, Cameron blames British multicultural tolerance for racial/ethnic
>> segregation in Britain... which, he says, facilitates the radicalization
>> of
>> young Muslims... apparently Merkel and Sarkozy have made similar claims...
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/world/europe/06britain.html
>>
>> Is it just me or is Britain hardly any different from the US where
>> structural racism trumps the multicultural embrace of difference every day
>> of every week of every month of every year.
>>

> I don't think the US has the problem Cameron claims to be addressing -
> i.e., radicalization/non-integration of Muslims.
>
> SA

Are you accepting his argument that Muslims aren't integrated into British society? Which ones? Given what Bhaskar's provided us, the residential segregation/ghettoization precedes British "multiculturalism". Are you accepting his implicit argument that Muslims prefer to live apart and that state policy has to discourage this because it feeds radicalization? Given the rest of his policies, I can't imagine a situation where Cameron's government is likely to generate anything other than a cut in support for the institutions the government has made representative of minority groups, can you? If that's the case, what's the likelihood ending "multiculturalism" will do anything to make things better.

BTW: what evidence do you have that recent Muslim immigrants have been welcomed into the wider US society? In Michigan, recent Muslim immigrants to the US are very residentially segregated and not at all well "integrated" and many have expressed frustration at this. News from NYC seems to suggest the same. Is Illinois different?