[lbo-talk] multiculturalism? really?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 13:49:41 PST 2011

On 2/5/2011 4:03 PM, Alan Rudy wrote:

> Are you accepting his argument that Muslims aren't integrated into British
> society? Which ones?

> Are you accepting his implicit argument that Muslims prefer to live apart
> and that state policy has to discourage this because it feeds
> radicalization?

David Cameron isn't the only person who has said this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/jun/23/uk.religion

> Poll shows Muslims in Britain are the most anti-western in Europe
>
> Julian Borger in Washington
> The Guardian, Friday 23 June 2006
>
> Public opinion in Britain is mostly favourable towards Muslims, but
> the feeling is not requited by British Muslims, who are among the most
> embittered in the western world, according to a global poll published
> yesterday.

Some results from the poll:

What do you consider yourself first? A citizen of your country? Or a Muslim (Christian)?

Citizen of country A Muslim (Christian) French Muslims 42 46 US Christians 48 42 British Muslims 7 81

Muslims in your country mostly want to....

Be distinct from society Adopt national customs French Muslims 21 78 British Muslims 35 41

> Given the rest of his policies, I can't imagine a situation where Cameron's
> government is likely to generate anything other than a cut in support for
> the institutions the government has made representative of minority groups,
> can you?

You might be right. But that would be a commentary on David Cameron's policies, not on British multiculturalism. I'd be interested to hear thoughts from people in the UK.

SA