[lbo-talk] Grover Cleveland, Obama's Percursor?

michael perelman michael.perelman3 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 20:49:29 PST 2011

I have been thinking about presidential comparisons with Obama. The closest I could imagine was Grover Cleveland's second administration.

Cleveland was the leader of the pro-business Bourbon Democrats who opposed high tariffs, free silver, inflation, imperialism and subsidies to business, farmers or veterans. His battles for political reform and fiscal conservatism made him an icon for American conservatives. Cleveland was tight with the bankers and the railroad. Maybe he was not so much in love with them as Obama, but it is still pretty disgusting.

Here are my notes from Matthew Josephson's The Politicos:

read more at:

http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/grover-cleveland-obamas-percursor/

mperelman at csuchico.edu

530 898 5321 fax 530 898 5901 http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com