[lbo-talk] Good Education was ...College Students

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 7 06:54:21 PST 2011

Michael Pollak

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Doug Henwood wrote:

>> Is your strategy to improve schooling because this is a radical demand.
>
> It's not a strategy, but yes, it should be a demand.

No it should not. It is too vague, and to demand it is utopian..

When formulating demands you have to be concrete. Higher pay is concrete. Abolish merit systems is concrete. A demand must not rest on a prediction of qualitative results. You simply are not thinking politically when you advocate a goal so vague.

Carrol

P.S. I'm assuming here that "improve schooling" is more a less synonym for "good education."