[lbo-talk] What is the industry standard in journalism for fact-checking letters?

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Feb 8 07:01:35 PST 2011

I am referring to Letters to the Editor. Do serious newspapers regularly print letters without bothering to fact-check claims made in them and then offer disclaimers?

Our city paper prints anything and everything, when just a few seconds of googling shows that the letter is making a bogus claim. The latest attributes a bible-thumping quote to James Madison which is clearly a fabrication.

Matt

-- GnuPG Key ID: 0xC33BD882 aim/google/MSN/yahoo: beyondzero123