[lbo-talk] What is the industry standard in journalism forfact-checking letters?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 8 08:13:30 PST 2011

It is nearly impossible to prove that someone did NOT say this or that. No collected edition of anyone is really complete, and of course no index gets everything: hence a negative results on a text search are inconclusive! To check an attribution I guess you would have to get the person making it before a Grand Jury under oath, and ask for the source!

Our local paper continues to print letters from local conspiracy theorists on 9/11.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Matt Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2011 9:02 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: [lbo-talk] What is the industry standard in journalism forfact-checking letters?

I am referring to Letters to the Editor. Do serious newspapers regularly print letters without bothering to fact-check claims made in them and then offer disclaimers?

Our city paper prints anything and everything, when just a few seconds of googling shows that the letter is making a bogus claim. The latest attributes a bible-thumping quote to James Madison which is clearly a fabrication.

Matt