[lbo-talk] Goodbye to the export of surplus capital?

brad babscritique at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:44:53 PST 2011

Marv writes: I'd be curious to know from those who have made a careful study of Marx, what if anything he had to say about the 19th century market in agricultural futures? Were these earlier derivatives contracts viewed mostly as an integral and "historically progressive" development for managing risk in a capitalist economy, or as destabilizing speculative instruments which were symptomatic of capitalism in its final stages? Did he or any of his contemporaries have anything to say on the relationship of 19th century farm futures to "real" farm production which contribute to our understanding of the systemic role of today's global and much more varied multi-trillion derivatives markets, ie. "financialization

I don't think he had much to say on it, or at least I am not familiar with what he said. However agricultural futures and hedging mostly served the intended purpose of creating stability up till the late 1990's and early 2000's when a few regulatory changes occurred and financial firms developed some new tools to allow people to invest (read bet) on the movement of baskets of commodities (commodity index funds). Since then there has been a speculative orgy in commodity markets and the share constituted by speculative money now dwarfs commercial futures purchases (those who actually want to take possession of commodity under contract). I think this is a really good example of the weight of money influence of investment as speculation now drives up the physical price of commodities and with it food, fuel and other industrial inputs.

Brad