[lbo-talk] The compensation-productivity gap: a visual essay Susan Fleck, John Glaser, and Shawn Sprague

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 12:51:07 PST 2011

Great BLS report!

My favorite is chart 6 - a crystal clear exposition of hugely divergent paths of productivity and compensation starting in 1982 onward.

Unfortunately, the chart hides the reality of compensation, as it includes top earners. It displays the flattening of ECI since 1982, which is an *average *of compensation across all wage levels, including everyone. Were the chart to use something more sensible, such as *median *or 75th percentile, one would see not a flattening of compensation, but a descending trajectory.

In other words, if the chart displayed median (50th percentile) as in this figure: http://www.stateofworkingamerica.org/files/images/orig/3C_men_realfigure.png then the divergence starting in 1982 would be even more enormous with compensation dropping precipitously. The BLS chart is flat because BLS is using the *'natural log'* of the compensation index (not the true index)*.* If they instead took the natural log of the *median* compensation index, the compensation line would drop like a rock.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find such a thing - 'median' or 'percentile' compensation (ECI). Anyone out there know where I might find such an animal? I know people use EPI-ORG for this data, but I'm looking for a more user-friendly source of the data...

-Peter