[lbo-talk] how the regime is winning in Egypt

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:07:45 PST 2011

Doug quoted Foreign Affairs' Joshua Stacher's piece:

> Despite the tenacity, optimism, and blood of the protesters massed in
> Tahrir Square, Egypt's democratic window has probably already closed.

I am sure the regime's bag of tricks is huge, but this seems to me like the wishful thinking of the U.S. establishment. Mass uprisings are formidable forces and even if they don't fully accomplish their conscious goals, they do tend to shape things up for the longer run. Obviously, I'm not talking about the ultimate and definitive subversion of capitalism.