[lbo-talk] The role of social media in the Egyptian uprising

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 10 16:47:23 PST 2011

I'm not saying it's all good. I'm saying it's a new variable that we need to understand. Joanna

-------

There is nothing to understand in separation from each particular use of the media. Actually, this is probably true of printing as well. It's possible that it is possible to study the codex & the typewriter. They actually opened new realms of human understanding and practice. The so-called "social media" have no existence of their own. There is no connection (except an irrelevant technical one) between an e-mail list and personal exchanges of e-mails. And so forth. There is not even much connection between different e-mail lists.

So what's to understand?

Carrol