[lbo-talk] See!

Adam Proctor proctorvt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 09:48:49 PST 2011

Wojtek wrote:

[WS:] I am not beneath pointing out that I told you so. Here is what I
> posted:
>
> "In other words - the protesters will win only if they manage to capture
> the
> Egyptian state but it seems likely only if the military switches sides.
> Otherwise, the protest will end like the Polish Solidarity did."
>
> which was pooh-poohed by those who did not like my reference to Orwell. So
> let me grin and say: movements - schmovements. It is the institutions with
> real power that carry the day - just as uncle Stalin commented about the
> pope's divisions. Ha!

[To everyone else] Is he serious? "movements-schmovements"? Was it ever a question that to win a people's revolution, you have to win the military?

No. But let's be serious. Mubarak is out. But the people have not yet won the military. Just because the military splits from the regime, to which it was loosely tied to begin with, does not mean the military has switched to the side of the people. So for now, the people's revolution remains incomplete. Will they be able to see it through? I hope so. But that will require the continuation of the worker's councils and such that have been formed over the last 2 weeks. This revolution started over not just state repression, but poor economic prospects for young people and a vastly uneven distribution of wealth. Instituting simple liberal reforms in a state that was already the poster child of neoliberal development will not satisfy the economic demands of the masses.

[to Wojtek] Un-puff your chest, my man. This is far from over.

Institutions bear the power in society. This is not a radical stance, rather, it is the definition of what it means to be an institution. The problem facing Egypt, and people's revolutions all of the world, is that these are bourgeois, liberal institutions that will only recreate much of the economic immiseration seen before the revolution began. The task at hand now is for the people to lay hold of these institutions and seek out a vastly different kind of social organization. Will it happen? Stay tuned.