[lbo-talk] See!

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 11:42:55 PST 2011

Not sure I understand any of this... but since I was the one who questioned the use of Orwell, the anticommunist police spy, to instruct us on the true meaning of 'totalitarianism', I suppose I should respond with something...

I ignored the proclamation that the "protesters will capture the Egyptian state if the military switches sides", because, well, it didn't really make sense. Capture the state? The military switch sides? From which side and to which side? Would the military officers abandon the bourgeoisie, of which they comprise the leading part? That is, they do not figuratively comprise it, but literally comprise it. If it is implied that the military could be 'independent' of it's own class, then there is a profound misunderstand of the role of the military in Egyptian capitalism. The bourgeoisie does not abandon itself - the military is the nationalist bourgeoisie in Egypt.

Today the military ejected the only two remnants left from the crony capitalist segment of the bourgeoisie that had any hands on the ship of state - Mubarak and Suleiman. All others have already been ejected from the state ministries, the party and the police over the last two weeks. They were the other shoe to drop.

The military council - what Paul Amar calls the "nationalist Egyptian bourgeoisie" is now in complete control and have not 'switched sides', nor did it install a 'new regime' - it is the same class that has always ruled.

The military has also adeptly managed to defuse the spreading strikes just in time before they transformed from economic to political strikes - which would have been very dangerous to the military. If they have anyone to fear, it the the surging labor movement in Egypt which is becoming daily more and more politicized - not the students, nor the youth, the intellectuals, the 'urban democratic middle class', nor the social media.

(Oh, and by the way, the youth who marched in the first Jan 25 protest in Tahrir were not young texters - but poor youth from the slums with no social media - read the WSJ investigation on this - the texters never made it to Tahrir that day).

The military's best hope now is El Baradei and the liberals who can be convinced to protect the military's and other capitalist's pillaged state enterprises and their criminal fiefdoms, and who can now send the people back to their homes and once that is done, then turn the police's guns on the strikers if need be. Think of them as the new Kerensky-Baradei parliament. Yet even this - putting the politicized strikers back to work - will be a huge task for the Interior Ministry. Frankly, I have great hope for the industrial proletariat who are lurking in the background in Suez, Alexandria, etc. We shall see.

-Peter