[lbo-talk] Crises and left opportunity

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Feb 15 14:27:50 PST 2011

On Tue, February 15, 2011 1:54 pm, brad wrote:

> If we have to wait for things to get better in
> the US before the left can emerge as a real political force we are in deep
> shit.

I can't speak for Doug or Carrol, but I think their point is that there is no "wait" -- there is only resistance. No party will magically appear to transform this dying Empire into a social democracy, no micropolitics will magically appear and wish away the reactionary identity-politics of Empire. All of us must do what we can, practice and live the democracy and justice we preach, every day of our lives.

The amazing power of al-Jazeera's coverage was not that it created anything anew, but that it allowed the democracy movement to create its own mass media representation: the immense diversity, complexity and euphoric freedom of the masses on Tahrir Square.

It's just the beginning. What Al-Jazeera is to the 2011 Revolutions, videogame culture is to transnational culture, and the digital commons is to transnational class struggle.

-- DRR