[lbo-talk] Crises and left opportunity

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 14:41:52 PST 2011

[WS:] Resistance seems futile, stoic resignation seems more appropriate.

When suddenly, at the midnight hour, an invisible troupe is heard passing with exquisite music, with shouts -- your fortune that fails you now, your works that have failed, the plans of your life that have all turned out to be illusions, do not mourn in vain. As if long prepared, as if courageous, bid her farewell, the Alexandria that is leaving. Above all do not be fooled, do not tell yourself it was a dream, that your ears deceived you; do not stoop to such vain hopes. As if long prepared, as if courageous, as it becomes you who have been worthy of such a city, approach the window with firm step, and with emotion, but not with the entreaties and complaints of the coward, as a last enjoyment listen to the sounds, the exquisite instruments of the mystical troupe, and bid her farewell, the Alexandria you are losing. http://users.hol.gr/~barbanis/cavafy/antony.html

<http://www.cavafy.com/poems/content.asp?id=12&cat=1>Wojtek