[lbo-talk] Wisconsin labor

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 09:00:15 PST 2011

This may be a little overly generous to the SDP.

I would say the SDP was the largest party in the 20th century, but hardly left at that point - they gained following by supporting the imperialist war (WWI), and helping to crush the German workers' uprising in 1919 (killing Leibnick, Luxemborg, et al). I believe Engels joined it in the 1890's mostly to try to fight the grip of the revisionists who dominated it (Kautsky, etc), but obviously was not too successful. True, they voted against the Naziis' Enabling Act in 1933, which was something to be proud of. -PF