[lbo-talk] social media

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Feb 17 05:51:55 PST 2011

This still seems a pseudo-debate to me.

Social media (and the phrase _is_ redundant) are tools of communication. When we organize we use whatever tools are available, whether Twitter or the Pony Express.

And as Brecht said of a number of things, it takes a man [sic] to operate it.

And recruitment to mass struggle will always, whatever the technology, depend on direct contact with someone the potential recruit _knows_.

Carrol

P.S. On the flip side of this debate: historical change. As a friend pointed out in an off-list discussion, the debate will be clarified if we get rid of of the mustical term, "consciousness" and substitute "cognition."