[lbo-talk] Businesses are refusing to hire the unemployed,

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 06:40:40 PST 2011

[WS:] That may well be, but it would still require some proof, no?

I am pretty much skeptical of purely economic 'explanations' especially when it comes to labor market. There is plenty of research showing that rather then liberating from social prejudices, capitalism enshrines them in the language of efficiency, meritocracy and purpose-rationality.

Your argument that unemployment carries a moral stigma fits that frame. But that would be more of a yuppie thing as their work seem to be their identity politics, no?

Wojtek