[lbo-talk] Fahrenheit 451 :Analysts: Borders may have trouble surviving bankruptcy

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 09:40:06 PST 2011

[WS:] But you can still buy books online where it is much easier to find obscure titles than at Borders.

What concerns me more is not the disappearance of brick and mortar bookstores - even though I loved them for their ambiance - but the disappearance of print media. Although bulky and a bit cumbersome to produce and distribute, the print media have one quality - once they are out, the reader has the full control of the information they entail - all that is required to access is the ability to read. With proprietary electronic media which require access code all the time (cf. Kindle) the access to information can be revoked at any time by whoever controls the code. No book burning is necessary - all they need to do is to change the code.

So the first and most obvious casualty of Kindle is the used book market - once you buy a book, you cannot re-sell it, only the Grand Master of Kindle can do it. I am not saying that this a slippery slope to universal electronic censorship, but then "first they came for the Communists..."

Wojtek