[lbo-talk] Fahrenheit 451 :Analysts: Borders may have trouble surviving bankruptcy

Bill White bill.white at griggsinst.com
Thu Feb 17 09:58:09 PST 2011

On 2011-02-17, at 12:40 , Wojtek S wrote: [WS:] But you can still buy books online where it is much easier to find
> obscure titles than at Borders.
>
> What concerns me more is not the disappearance of brick and mortar
> bookstores - even though I loved them for their ambiance - but the
> disappearance of print media.

I'm mostly a lurker on this list, but I worry about this as well, and have been for some time. I read this short article:

in 1997 when it was first published in the Communications of the ACM (a somewhat obscure journal for academic computer scientists). I thought it was overblown then, but I'm changing my mind. The author, Richard Stallman, is a genius and a visionary, but at the same time a certifiable lunatic. He's certainly incorrect about scientific literature, which is becoming freely available more and more often with arxiv.org and plos.org.