[lbo-talk] Businesses are refusing to hire the unemployed,

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Feb 20 10:00:02 PST 2011

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:32:33 -0600 "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> writes:
> It seems to me that many (most? All?) economic analyses tend to be
> generalizations from somewhat arbitrarily selected data. And this
> not only
> fails to be "scientific" but is rather unconvincing as history. (I
> assume
> that what is misnamed "economics" is a subdivision of history, and
> one
> judges it by the standards of historiography, not "science." The
> premise of
> a special realm of study, "political economy" or "economics," is
> grounded in
> a failure to recognize the core premises of Ellen Meiksins Wood's
> work: the
> separation of "the economic" from "the state" in capitalism. That
> means, as
> someone on this list suggested some months ago, that capitalism and
> capitalist society are not identical: i.e., that capitalism is
> embedded in a
> thick ensemble of social relations, most of which (daily life,
> education,
> state power, war and war preparation) are not themselves capitalist.
> Hence
> the context of purely "economic" data is necessarily ignored by the
> economist.

It should be noted that the earlier writers on political economy would have had no problem with Carrol's points here. Adam Smith, for instance, was a professor of moral philosophy, who undertook the writing of his "The Wealth of Nations," as part of a lifelong project to create a science of man. The notion of a science of man, was a concept that was bandied about by many different Englightenment thinkers like Rousseau, Kant, Francis Hutcheson (Adam Smith's teacher), and David Hume (as well as some later thinkers like the young Karl Marx in his 1844 Manuscripts). It was ultimately David Hume's version of the concept that was embraced by Smith (Hume being a close personal and intellectual friend of Smith). The science of man, as conceived by Hume and Smith, was intended to embrace all of what we might call the human sciences, which would include psychology, history, jurisprudence, and all the various social sciences. Hume himself certainly on all these topics, but he seems to have thought that Adam Smith would be the man to make the science of man a reality. Smith made this project the center of his life's work, with the intention of writing a series of treatises that would cover moral philosophy, political economy, jurisprudence, and other subjects too, like aesthetics. In the end, Smith only managed to complete two of these treatises: one on moral philosophy, "The Theory of Moral Sentiments," and "The Wealth of Nations." But it seems to me that Smith's "The Wealth of Nations" cannot be properly understood without being read in conjuntion with "The Theory of Moral Sentiments."

In any case, the later separation of economics from historiography would have seemed strange to Hume, Smith, and the other early political economists.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math