[lbo-talk] labor leadership not so sure about Wisconsin

Dissenting Wren dissentingwren at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 21 18:40:52 PST 2011

But remember, Harry had a nice incentive to offer his followers:

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;For he to-day that sheds his blood with me Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile, This day shall gentle his condition:"

And he didn't suggest that losing to the French would be jolly good fun, either!

----- Original Message ---- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, February 21, 2011 8:26:11 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] labor leadership not so sure about Wisconsin

Dissenting Wren

The only people who can fight for the sheer fun of it and enjoy it even as they lose are those with little at stake. The fight in Wisconsin may or may not be lost. If it is lost, Wisconsin's public workers will not enjoy it.

====

You may be right, in part, but only in part. Participation in something like that changes people: not everyone, or even most perhaps, but quite a few. The speech Shakespeare gives to that pompous ass, Henry 5, at Agincourt is worth ripping from context, paraphrasing in your mind, and applying to more worthwhile occasions.

We few, we fourtunate few. (from memory)

Carrol