[lbo-talk] Businesses are refusing to hire the unemployed,

Wojtek S wsoko52 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 10:34:56 PST 2011

Mr. X "It seems to me that this is mostly a problem with high end jobs in the major cities. At the low end their not that picky."

[WS:] That crossed my mind too. I wonder to what degree the new "hires" are in fact insider promotions, which appear as "hiring those who already have jobs." I've seen that quite a bit in the academia and government - they advertise a position because legally they have to go through the motions, but they already picked their candidate - often from within the organization.

Another aspect is that "networking" in getting these kinds of jobs is crucial, and people who are employed typically have better networking opportunities than those who have been out of a job for a while.

Wojtek