[lbo-talk] Lind on the post-union future

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 23 08:56:58 PST 2011

Marx in the last chapter of Wages, Price and Profit underlines the necessity of workers defending themselves, just as does Robert below, and simultaneously points out the limitations of that defensive action, the necessity to go beyond it. His 'case' for the necessity of the defensive struggle is a classic, with his description of (from memory) the one degraded mass to which workers would otherwise be reduced, incapable of any higher task.

I don't think "degraded mass" (or whatever phrase Marx used here) refers only to material conditions but also to the moral degradation which flows from a refusal to struggle.

Carrol

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of wrobert at uci.edu Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 12:02 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Lind on the post-union future

This is a really terrible article. It offers a tendentious history of trade unionism, missing out on the differences between the AFL and the CIO for instance. But at a basic level, who is going to organize for these universal rights, and more significantly, who is going to act as an everyday defender of those rights. At its most basic level, union organizing is an attempt to transform the relations of power within a workplace, generally on the grounds of 'dignity' and 'rights' for the employee. It creates horizontal relations between workers in opposition to the employer with access to financial and other resources in times of need. Legislature can provide a 'shield' for that kind of work, but it can't replace the 'sword' of collective worker action. (two notes: I'm not assuming this is the only or primary site of struggle, and I am operating under the premises laid out by Rosa Luxemburg in the Mass Strike, which is everyday organizing is the laboratory of a future revolutionary politics.)

robert wood

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/02/22/lind_unions_wisconsin /index.html