[lbo-talk] More Rightwing proto-fascism

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 07:05:21 PST 2011

Let me get this right. you slam a number of us for holding positions we absolutely don't hold about fascism - in the context of a discussion that has moved from fascism to efficiency - and then, wrongly, assume "we, the Commissars" agreed upon a single definition that we oh-so want to enforce as the one-true definition (something that has never happened in the few years I've been on this list - despite polemical stances being regularly taken) and that you could reasonably claim to feel hurt, as if we'd want to discipline/re-educate you and any other deviant because of our desire to make everyone hold correct thoughts... all the while refusing to do the efficient - or should I just say intellectually honest and collegial - thing and search the archives for a series of posts on fascism during 2010.

Instead, expressing your moral superiority by means of unacknowledged incapacity you prefer to ask me to take the time summarize the _various_ positions taken on the issue by a range of participants?

This is on you, not me... I actually remember things I've seen on this list, try to explore the earlier iterations/expression as a means of refreshing my memory of where we've been if an issue comes up again and I want to post, and/or, after failing to remember something I admit to failing to do so when it is pointed out. Most of all, the last thing I'd ever do is assume that there's a party line here - have you paid any attention to the diversity of thought on just about every issue discussed... or is self-righteous victimhood your preferred mode of polemic? When you were an academic, how'd you feel about people who reinvented a spoke on the wheel because they couldn't or wouldn't do a decent literature review but nevertheless claimed to be making original and insightful contributions? I know how I felt about such basic intellectual incompetence.

For your edification, I was wrong, it was last Feb and the subject line was: Fascism, right-wing populism, and contemporary research Finding this took about 10 seconds in the archives... all I did was search fascism rudy I'm sure you'll find plenty to disagree with but anything but a party line.