[lbo-talk] The liquidation of society

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 07:30:54 PST 2011

wow, are you really making the idealist argument that the worlds of economics, values and morality are analytically and materially distinct... or is that the Durkheimian argument that norms and values are the foundation of healthy economics, politics, cultural integration, etc? Sociologist that I know you to be, are you in the slightest bit cognizant of the Marxist, Weberian, feminist and even interactionist critiques of Durkheim's normative functionalism?

Your claim, elsewhere, that it is LBOsters who are ethnocentric w/r/t our understanding of fascism is utterly belied by your ethnocentrically transhistorical moralism relative to the criminality of cut-throat competition in a world of plenty.

Maybe, just maybe, the nature of elite value systems - as you put it - are inextricable from the political economic institutions of society and this, I thought, was one of the things that the materialist and historical sciences of sociology and anthropology had clearly shown (alongside some other disciplines, including heterodox and Marxist economics). But, I guess, to make this point moralism might have to give way to social scientific... I'll let you fill in the rest.