[lbo-talk] Saif Gaddafi's Dissertation...

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:50:21 PST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Wojtek S <wsoko52 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I heard stories of department chairs putting informal pressure on
> the faculty to "go easy" on students for reasons having more to do with
> maintaining certain number of bodies in the department than sucking up to
> funders or celebrities.  Universities, especially prestigious ones, are
> first dispensaries of expensive credentials and only second institutions of
> higher learning.

If it serves as proof of your statement, the same also happens down here. A family friend was an advanced physics professor at one reputed private univesity and he says he was asked repeatedly to "go easy" because he was giving Fs to too many students and that´d increase the number of dropouts..... go figure...

FC Buenos Aires, Argentina.