[lbo-talk] Libya´s Nescafe

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 07:00:27 PST 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Charles Turner <vze26m98 at optonline.net>wrote:

So by that token, maybe it's time to reassess Vietnam's invasion of the DPRK
> in 1979?
> Seems like "the left" was pretty solidly behind the aggression instead of
> an "ultra-left dictatorship."

I take it you mean the Democratic Kampuchea (which I think was in 1978), and not the Democratic People's Republic of Korea? Or is this another incident with which I'm unfamiliar?

In the former case, based upon my limited knowledge, it seems like a straightforward case of national self-defense, in a sense that the British maintenance of a colonial outpost off the coast of South America is not, and the US enforcement of a no-fly zone ( http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4033869,00.html) or naval corridor ( http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/25/lets-assure-free-passage-from-libya) against Libya would sure as hell not be. I trust few of us define our anti-imperialism in terms requiring a country whose legitimate territory is routinely invaded and its citizens slaughtered to tolerate it indefinitely.