[lbo-talk] Libya´s Nescafe

Peter Fay peterrfay at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 11:09:15 PST 2011

I would agree. What Joseph Catron called the "moralistic hysteria" over Lybia's "war crimes" is very strange. As is the liberal support for bringing the "madman Gaddafi" to the ICC, for planned US "no-fly zone" and military maneuvers in Libya. It reminds one of the most vile of western imperialism (and racist vilification of Qaddafi) -

Helen Thomas: Mr. President, I know you must have given it a lot of thought, but what do you think is the real reason that Americans are the prime target of terrorism? Could it be our policies?

Reagan: Well, we know that this *mad dog of the Middle East* has a goal of a world revolution, Moslem fundamentalist revolution, which is targeted on many of his own Arab compatriots. And where we figure in that, I don't know. Maybe we're just the enemy because—it's a little like climbing Mount Everest—because we're here...

Do we need to be reminded that it was only 25 years ago that the US invaded territorial waters of Libya, and bombed Tripoli, killing scores of civilians, including Gaddaffi's daughter (with British military support)?

Or reminded of the earlier Italian invasion, the killings and starvations in the concentration camps, dropping of poison gas, etc.? http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/dewiki/en/Italienische_Kriegsverbrechen_in_Afrika

Italy is still today paying billions in reparations to Libya for Italy's war crimes there.

Those were the true war crimes.

Obviously, this is not to diminish the government killings going on today by the now "neoliberalized" Libya.

And why is it that no one seems to understand the uprising in Libya has very strong roots in inter-tribal conflict, rather than simply "democracy"? Libya is most definitely not a country in the manner of Egypt. Nor of Tunisia. Libya is less a country than it is 140 tribes that make up 3 countries. Bengazzi (which has... of course, the oil) is home of the Warfalla tribe ( http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Backchannels/2011/0224/Libya-tribes-Who-s-who). They have received little of the oil money and did not raise the national flag when liberated, but the flag of the Monarchy which Qaddafi overthrew. The monarchy was represented by King Isidris - king of Cyrenaica (eastern Libya), only one of the three "countries" from the Ottoman empire, that were later stitched together by the Italians to make Libya. They despise the Gaddafi tribe in western Libya (which supports Qaddafi's regime), and vise versa. The Gaddafi tribe is likely to have little interest in "democracy" or the overthrow of Qaddafi.

Which is why the following is so troubling. The rebel leader Colonel Tarek Saad Hussein said he would "finish" the people of Sirte (mostly Gaddafi tribe) if they opposed him:

"I want to deliver a message to the people of Sirte: You are with us or against us. Because when we move to Tripoli, you either join us, or we will finish you." http://www.npr.org/2011/02/25/134065811/Gadhafi-Asks-Supporters-To-Defend-Regime

Seems the "people's revolution" may only apply to certain people.

-PF http://theclearview.wordpress.com/