[lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Feb 26 15:45:15 PST 2011

Historically, rich women have refused to breast-feed, getting peasant wet-nurses to do the job instead. This is because breast-feeding is held to be animal-like, and because it supposedly causes breasts to sag. So your hypothetical makes no sense. If rich women refused to breast feed it's because they would not want the bother of lactation and would want the process to stop ASAP. It does after about a week of non-use. Moreover, they do not need the money.

There's no question that the poor sell themselves piecemeal to survive and have been doing so for a long time. This story just struck me as a particularly stark example. The only thing more nauseating than the story were the accompanying comments, which praised the entrepreneurship of the ice cream shop.

How good the milk is has a lot to do with the mother's state of health and state of mind. The processes you mention, would of course make it less healthy.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Bennett" <bennett.mab at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:47:41 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

The Swiftian connection indeed clear here, but poor folks have been selling their blood for decades, women have been selling their hair for even longer, prostitutes have been selling their bodies more or less forever, and virtually all of us sell, or rent, ourselves to our employers, so one more ingenious means of exploiting the exploitable is mere piling on by now. Wouldn't much of this milk come from relatively affluent women who don't breast feed anyway? And why would human breast milk be uniquely healthy once it is put to commercial use? I would suspect the pasteurization and refinement of the product to make it safe for all would destroy many of its uniquely beneficial properties. I'm still waiting for the implementation of the proposal that I read about in Fast Company at the height of the dot.comboom and during the heyday of Enron: The commodification of the individual by allowing her or him to to sell shares in themselves. It's bound to happen.