[lbo-talk] Breast milk ice cream...

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Feb 27 15:22:44 PST 2011

Joseph Catron writes:

> It's not that we "could not see commodification or
> exploitation," but rather that we can't imagine why
> one would expect to find anything else.

At least Doug sees something different (in that he wouldn't get up in the morning for human cheese. Or something). And Wojtek said that it was akin to selling your Thai baby. Or something. Me? I'm not convinced it's an actual story, or that there are any real customers. $22/scoop? File this under $1000 foie-gras-and-gold-leaf-topped burgers and (to stay on, uh, point) $2M jewel-encrusted bras.

But it was pretty interesting. I mean, of all the things out there to get puffed-up about, a throwaway story about a single stupid media stunt throws the list into paroxysms of intention-projecting and name-slinging (I would have thought that the prohibition on calling someone a 'cop' would apply to this bullshit "mansplaining" epithet). Visions of 3rd world women stacked up in barns across the countryside, snatched from their homes as soon as their milk comes in, conjured up by Joanna got Alan and Wren to stand up and be counted as being Sensitive and Serious. Hummer-sized drive-thrus for all the eager customers. Rich mothers, who will never know the ecstatic response to breastfeeding, now offering their children frozen delights to soothe their guilt.

Really: give me two scoops of "a fucking break", please.

Or maybe it's just lbo-talk's Two Minutes of Hate.

Hats-off to Joanna for throwing a stink bomb into the center of the room.

/jordan