[lbo-talk] The modest chance filibuster change could win a Senate vote

Gar Lipow gar.lipow at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 13:01:15 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2011, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> Michael, I really don't quite understand how someone can know as much and
>> understand as much as you do and still cling to utopian notions such as
>> moving forward by small steps.
>
> I prefer more democracy to less on principle, Carrol.  Even though, as you
> say, it may lead to worse outcomes.

Maybe it will lead to worse outcomes. But the history of the filibuster suggests that is has done more harm than good from a progressive and even from a civil liberties viewpoint. By a factor of ten, maybe a factor of 100. There are reasons why it tends to be weapon in the hands of reactionaries far more than in the hands of their opponents. If Nathan Newman was on this list he could do an amazing an informative rant on this.