[lbo-talk] Betty Chung Bang Bang

Mike Beggs mikejbeggs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 16:49:20 PST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> That's what I like about it.  It's not a copy, it's a version bent into
> interesting shapes.  This one is interesting because records like this from
> China are rare.  Better and more fun are collections like this one from
> Thailand:

Have you come across Sublime Frequencies?

http://www.sublimefrequencies.com/

It's run by the guys from Sun City Girls and they put out a lot of this kind of stuff. There seem to be mountains and mountains of forgotten gold from the last few decades of western pop and rock's influence on all corners of the globe - it got totally missed in 'world music's' search for folk purity.

Also cool and in the same vein: 'Music from Saharan cellphones, Vol. 1':

http://ghostcapital.blogspot.com/2010/08/va-music-from-saharan-cellphones-vol-1.html

Mike Beggs