[lbo-talk] it was punk rock that set him off

Ferenc Molnar ferenc_molnar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 14:11:03 PST 2011

Joseph Catron wrote: "To the extent that I understand you, I think I agree with you. It seems self-evident to me that white supremacism, like any number of other political tendencies, is better understood as a recurring strand, appearing in multiple contexts, than as its own coherent, independently-existing thing. I wouldn't call this reckless, though, so much as realistic."

fm:  But your original point was that the American Renaissance group is an example of a philo-Semitic group that tolerates white supremacism (zionism) which you later went on to compare to the Truman administration's and the government of Clement Attlee's philo-Semitic zionism?  These are very different ideas of white supremacism and philo-Semitism and in the case of the American Renaissance group I would completely disagree that they are philo-Semitic at all.  At least from what I've gathered about the American Renaissance their interest in Israel seems to me based on their view of it as a racial enclosure that could be beneficial to the white race because Jews are interbreeding with other Jews and not the white race.  Again, these are very different uses of the terms white supremacism and philo-Semitism.

But all this is esotericism, though very important esotericism, and the larger question seems to me to be about the linkage of struggles particularly in view of the Tea Party Movement.  The TPM has been so demonized by the Democratic Party and the media that serves it that it's hard to see any points of connection with those of us on the left.  I have no doubt that many members of the TPM hate any number of the identities I subscribe to either by heritage or practice.  I also have no doubt that the TPM is being manipulated if not manufactured by both the Republican Party and the business elites.  I also have no doubt that the TPM is being gamed by the Democratic Party.  But that does not leave out the possibility of shared points of interest with members of this movement.  Whether that is ethical, fruitful or even possible is another question.

fm