[lbo-talk] Berlet on Democracy Now

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jan 12 18:23:39 PST 2011

The Tucson shooting is fast becoming a Reichstag fire for American liberals - a crime perpetrated by a crazy person, employed to pillory those who have unacceptable political ideas - in this case, libertarians, anti-abortionists, and populists. The actions of a madman are interpreted to restore the limits of allowable debate. Standby for the list of unacceptable political asseverations in this new McCarthyism.

Berlet enacts a version of the move neatly described some years ago by Walter Benn Michaels in "The Trouble with Diversity." Those calling for equality outside the liberal consensus are fobbed off as threats to diversity. The real concerns (recognized by Chomsky et al.) of those sympathetic to the tea-partiers - a majority, apparently, of the US population - are dismissed as fulminations of racists.

Green's reference to the SPLC is probably appropriate. A year and a half ago, Alex Cockburn wrote

"What is the arch-salesman of hate-mongering, Mr. Morris Dees of the Southern Poverty Law Center doing now? He’s saying that the election of a black president proves his point. Hate is on the rise! Send money!

"Without skipping a beat, the mailshot moguls, who year after year make money selling the notion there’s been a right resurgence out there in the hinterland with massed legions of haters, have used the election of a black president to say that, yes, hate is on the rise and America ready to burst apart at the seams, with millions of extremists primed to march down Main Street draped in Klan robes, a copy of Mein Kampf tucked under one arm and a Bible under the other, available for sneak photographs from minions of Chip Berlet, another salesman of the Christian menace, ripely endowed with millions to battle the legions of the cross.

"Ever since 1971 US Postal Service mailbags have bulged with Dees’ fundraising letters, scaring dollars out of the pockets of trembling liberals aghast at his lurid depictions of hate-sodden America, in dire need of legal confrontation by the SPLC. Nine years ago Ken Silverstein wrote a devastating commentary on Dees and the SPLC in Harpers, dissecting a typical swatch of Dees’ solicitations. At that time, as Silverstein pointed out, the SPLC was “the wealthiest civil rights group in America,” with $120 million in assets..."

The rest at <http://www.counterpunch.org/cockburn05152009.html>.