[lbo-talk] Berlet on Democracy Now

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 08:57:16 PST 2011

> The Tucson shooting is fast becoming a Reichstag fire for American
> liberals - a crime perpetrated by a crazy person, employed to
> pillory those who have unacceptable political ideas...

Do you seriously imagine that you can get away with portraying the Reichstag Fire, the signature event and emblem and decisive coup of the Nazi regime, as "a crime perpetrated by a crazy person?"

Shane Mage

^^^^^^^ CB: Unlike the Nazis in the case of the Reichstag fire, the "American liberals" are not framing the suspect. And we know the shooter was incited by right-wing and Tea Party rhetoric because of his target.

The "brave liberals" claim that "trembling, credulous liberals" are being fooled out of their money by Morris Dees or Chip B presumes that said "credulous liberals" don't base their decision in part on research and investigation independent of Dees or Chip. That's a pretty questionable presumption. For one thing, people who have enough political participation to be termed "liberals" are likely to be as mature and reasoned as brave liberals in developing their political opinions. In other words, the characterization of Dees' donors as hysterical is probably inaccurate. I bet the trembling liberals think and reason out their politics just as much as their brave liberal critics here.

Cockburn and other brave liberals would have to present evidence that there is a decrease in fascistic organizing, not assert without proof that the trembling liberals don't know what the facts are.

Finally, what kind of left radical wouldn't want this event to cause lots of Americans to consider the Tea Party right-wingers as out of political bounds ? That is a really liberal , tolerant posture toward the right-wing; or who u callin' a liberal ?