[lbo-talk] [LBO] Surowecki on unions

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jan 14 15:57:27 PST 2011

Marv writes:

Of course, I understand that. But in your haste to agree with Carrol, you ignore his view that social struggles, even as they triumph, "never involve a majority", which is profoundly ahistorical. Carrol may or may not be familiar with Blanqui, but that is his ideological pedigree, and it is well outside and opposed to the classical Marxist and social democratic traditions. "Blanquism", Lenin wrote scornfully, "expects that mankind will be emancipated from wage slavery...through a conspiracy hatched by a small minority of intellectuals."

I've been reading Carrol for ten years now, and your attributions simply don't match what I've been hearing him say

"....a conspiracy hatched by a small minority of intellectuals." Carrol ????????

Joanna