[lbo-talk] Jared Lee Loughner, the conservative/liberal axis and the mentally ill...

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sun Jan 16 23:17:34 PST 2011

Mark Bennett writes:

> The real scandal, that the Right has been at pains to whitewash,
> is that a man as obviously unbalanced as Loughner could just walk
> into a gun store, fork over his money, and walk around with a 9mm
> Glock with two 30 round magazines.

I'm curious how (ok, also: why) a clerk is supposed to become the judge of this, savior of society. It's obvious to you that he was unbalanced -- after he snapped, sure -- but beforehand? What about all the other clerks he encountered: the 7-11, the Wal*Mart, even his cab driver. What about the cop who pulled him over for running a red light and released him without a ticket? Hell, that's never happened to me!

These people are supposed to recognize homicidal instability?

Through a single interaction?

Hmmm.

I'll call this: buck passing.

/jordan