[lbo-talk] Higher Taxes Wouldn’t End Some Deficits, really?

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Thu Jan 20 09:42:33 PST 2011

We could argue forever about what magnitude of tax increase is politically feasible. The EU VATs are central government taxes in big welfare states. State sales taxes could be a lot more productive, even with no changes in rates (by taxing services, for instance). But it's not easy to ask Illinois to implement social-democracy in one state.

It's not clear if the numbers in the article apply to existing, shrunken tax bases, or the tax bases when the recovery (sic) is more advanced. If it ever becomes more advanced. In that sense the estimates could be biased in favor of hysteria.

In some limiting cases politically tenable tax increases would not cover budget gaps. Illinois by the way is in the worst shape in the country, even after they do their big income tax hike (albeit from a very low base), if they do it.

The sad truth is that the Feds could make all this go away for about $150 billion, a minor share of current deficits.