[lbo-talk] I already hate twitter

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Jan 20 18:21:51 PST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 20:31:00 -0500 shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com> writes:

> Happen to be rebuilding a shopping cart right now, and it's
> precisely the
> route we're taking. We "hooking" them first, then worrying about the
>
> details later. it's a new approach to the user experience. Except,
> of
> course, since we know better, we're going to use ajax to at least
> validate
> some aspects of the email address off the bat (e.g., top level
> domain,
> syntax, etc) and require duplicate email address entries to capture
>
> ings first before they get through. In this case, the dumb asses at
> Twitter don't even validate the TLD. you can "register' with the
> email
> address userfoo at gmail.orn and they don't even catch the error with
> a TLD
> check. I tried it and it validates, which it shouldn't. They don't
> ask you
> to retype your email address as a validator either. Dumb.

They probably use a function like the following JavaScript to do the email address validation. As long as the @ and the dot are in the proper locations, then everything is assumed to be fine. Who bothers checking the top-level domains?

<script language = "Javascript"> /**

* DHTML email validation script. Courtesy of SmartWebby.com (http://www.smartwebby.com/dhtml/)

*/

function echeck(str) {

var at="@"

var dot="."

var lat=str.indexOf(at)

var lstr=str.length

var ldot=str.indexOf(dot)

if (str.indexOf(at)==-1){

alert("Invalid E-mail ID")

return false

}

if (str.indexOf(at)==-1 || str.indexOf(at)==0 || str.indexOf(at)==lstr){

alert("Invalid E-mail ID")

return false

}

if (str.indexOf(dot)==-1 || str.indexOf(dot)==0 || str.indexOf(dot)==lstr){

alert("Invalid E-mail ID")

return false

}

if (str.indexOf(at,(lat+1))!=-1){

alert("Invalid E-mail ID")

return false

}

if (str.substring(lat-1,lat)==dot || str.substring(lat+1,lat+2)==dot){

alert("Invalid E-mail ID")

return false

}

if (str.indexOf(dot,(lat+2))==-1){

alert("Invalid E-mail ID")

return false

}

if (str.indexOf(" ")!=-1){

alert("Invalid E-mail ID")

return false

}

return true

}

</script>

> Lack of experience is the cause of that glaring error. And the
> separation
> of software dev from network ops. The network ops folks are cursing
> the
> bounceback email, no doubt. But since the software devs never learn
> of
> their mistake, they never learn to be better devs in outfits like
> twitter
> that probably grew too fast for their own 'good'.

Also bad testing, bad QA, and just plain bad management.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant www.foxymath.com Learn or Review Basic Math