[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 11:11:54 PST 2011

I've been a bookworm all my conscious life, but that's unusual.

I don't know that reading kicks in for a lot of people until their thirties or so.

All the kids I went to High School with were kick ass smart, but very few liked reading and I don't remember a single one whose parents had books in the house. And this was Fairfax high school, 98% jewish, top academic high school in Los Angeles in the sixties and seventies.

Mostly what kids want to do is hang out with one another, which is mostly healthy I think. And I disagree about studying in groups. If I hadn't had a study buddy through the intensive Latin/Greek classes I took, I would have never made it through. Can you imagine translating Virgil for six hours a day (after 8 hours of class)?

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:04:12 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

On Jan 26, 2011, at 10:50 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Tentatively, the goal from which we must view the present is the goal of
> good pay, good working conditions, and job security for _all_ teachers --
> regardless of any 'evaluations' of any one teacher.

Well, yeah, I'm all for that, but my question was why don't kids today want to read?