[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 06:10:08 PST 2011

Come now. Without romanticizing the past or denigrating anyone's experience of the first two years of gen ed-ified college, there is absolutely no reason to treat "rigor" as having a single standard or as anything other than a process. While there are unreflexive faculty who stupidly despise their students for not having the breadth, depth and scope of academic rigor or critical engagement the faculty (utterly and completely wrongly) believe they had as freshlings - and these are often those who assign more work than can be reasonably be expected to be rigorously and critically engaged by the students they have (at whatever level of academic institution you'd like to look at) and then are further disappointed by their students' work - the vast majority of the faculty I know who care about their pedagogy and students seek to model, develop and advance rigor through their assignments, as part of the ways they approach texts/topics in class, the way they comment on student work and over the course of a students' career.

What I expect in terms of a rigorous and critical engagement with a text or topic in a lower division or gen ed class is very different from what I expect of 300-level classes, much less capstone courses populated by majors. Isn't developmental steeping reinforced by practice, practice, practice how we're supposed to promote rigor and critical thinking?

Hell, if I can teach my students in Intro nothing more than to think about their own lives, or bits and peices of their engagement with media and politics, with a modicum of sociological imagination, I have transformed their reflexive, critical potential and capacity for rigorous "readings" of text, interactions, representations, etc... all the while knowing that that all I have really succeeded in doing in that class is scratching the surface of rigor, critique, social self-reflexivity and comparative historical situated knowledges.