[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 28 10:12:02 PST 2011

Doug Henwood It always strikes me as weird when a guy who devoted his professional life to Milton and Pound says that literacy doesn't really matter much.

-------

It was partly from Milton & Pope that I learned to be skeptical of the use of literacy. _Becoming_ literate through collective action is revolutionary. Merely being literate is little effect politically. I think there is considerable evidence that people read what will expand & strengthen opinions otherwise gained. People become leftist through direct contact with leftists, and THEN they want to read left literature.

Of course literacy/literature is a huge source of amusement for those for whom they are a huge source of amusement. The political relevance is doubtful: Consider the stereotype of liquidation camp officials who loved Goethe or Beethoven. Or for that matter, the politics of Yeats, Eliot, Stevens, & Pound.

Carrol

The bookful blockhead, ignorantly read, With loads of learned lumber in his head . . .

(Essay on Criticism)