[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 11:40:32 PST 2011

> I still think the ruling class doesn't want tens of millions of
> "analytical" and critical thinkers. They especially don't want a lot
> of critical thinkers. They remember well that many of the activists
> of the "60's" reform movements were students, critically thinking
> students. So, the state of education described by Doug above is not
> an accident.

.=======

Carrol: Well, if true, it has always been that way, there being only the haze of nostalgia that creates the illusion it has ever been different. My old geezer sitting in front of the general store and grousing.

^^^^^ CB: I agree with you that some measure of this has always been true. Our American anti-intellectual "national character" has probably been cultivated by the powers-that-be, if not initiated by them. We even had a Know Nothing Party in the 1830's or so.

I have a feeling that there was an explosion of "active" minds - teachers and students- in the 60's based on growing-up under the ruling class radar during the 50's. The American response to Sputnik may have helped make the "60's" reforms. By the way, since the 50's was an economic golden age, this fits with one of your favorite theses: economic booms, rather than busts, are ripe for mass fightback.

The Civil Rights Movement supplied the simultaneous experience in actual struggle.

^^^^^^^

Secondly, if true, it is actually rather worse than the study suggests. If 30%+ of college students achieve “critical thinking,” whatever that is, then our educational system is world-shaking in it revolutionary potential, and the ruling class better get to work fast to do something about it.

^^^^ CB: Agree on "whatever [critical thinking] is". In the sixties it was questioning White Supremacy, mass poverty in the richest country in the world and colonialist war. Not just abstract "critical thinking" in general. But I think a lot of the push to think critically about these issues came from secondary and college teachers.

^^^^

Thirdly, there is no evidence that “critical thinking” _follows_ rather than _precedes_ reading. As I have argued, with rare exceptions, leftist literature is only read by those who have been radicalized and are seeking to deepen their knowledge. Similarly, for the most part the only people that regularly listen to Fox News are those who are looking to have their own opinions strengthened.

^^^^^^^ CB: Yes, but in the sixties, lots of college teachers were teaching students to think critically about politics. They initiated a lot of radicalization. The whole Bill Bennett crowd was motivated to prevent a repeat of this, I think , maybe.

^^^^^

Has anyone mentioned the obvious point, incidentally¸that it is the admissions office of colleges, not the faculty, that determines the charaver of the college’s output.

Carrol