[lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 28 12:14:35 PST 2011

But none of your points is relevant to "that change" as far as I can tell. Thee '60s and '70s did differ from the '80s in the quantity of leisure experienced byeither students or faculty. The other difference was in the slumps of the mid-70s and the early '80s.

Yes it's a chat list, and ought to be. No argument there. But when a thread is heavilrienced byeither students or faculty. The other difference was in the slumps of the mid-70s and the early '80s.

Yes it's a chat list, and ought to be. No argument there. But when a thread is heavily political, and you want to shift to chat, probably you should signal this in some slight but visible variation in the subject line.

And it is _really_ of central importance in discussing the '60s that it be recognized that the so-called zeitgeist was a product of (a) a VERY small minority of students plus (b) journalists lying through their teeth. (If you want to talk about the Black Liberation Movement, that's a horse of a different color.) The rest of the student and general population was either pro-war or against it on the basis that we should "fight to win." A very small number opposed it on the basis of "critical thinking" or whatever. See Eric's post.

And I don't see what is the relevance of cocaine vs marijuana. On another list an article fwd by the moderator elicited from me the observation that any article on the '60s that mentioned either hippies or Weatherman in the first paragraph was almost certainly a tissue of lies.

Carrol

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of 123hop at comcast.net Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 1:46 PM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

Did I say it was. No, obviously it's a series of impressions that attempt to illustrate the change from the 60's & 70's to the eighties.

Also, this is a chat list. Sometimes it's chatter; sometimes it's lengthier, denser posts that take days to write.

It's pretty obvious which flavor this was.

Joanna

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dennis Claxton" <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org, lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:29:04 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] How Much Do College Students Learn, and Study?

At 10:56 AM 1/28/2011, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:

>It was the zeitgeist Carrol.
>
>Cocaine (the power drug) replaced marijuana.
>
>Talk of leveling the playing field was replaced by talk of "getting yours."
>
>And the po-mos replaced talk of history and revolution with
>a-historical anthropological talk of how everything was relative.
>
>And the unions were crushed.

This is critical thinking?