[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"‬‏

Dennis Redmond metalslorg at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 16:21:47 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:35 PM, lbo83235 <lbo83235 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm painfully aware that this is generally a refined, urbane and frequently
> combative, sarcastic house - but this has kept me focused and honest
> the past couple of years:
>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbWRfBZY-ng>
>
> I don't know about the rest of you, but these are my people.

Great song. But they're all our people -- every single one of the victims of neoliberalism, from the poorest farmer in Bihar, India to the most educated laid-off tech worker in Stuttgart, Germany -- they're all our people. Some of their stories we know first-hand, others we have to download. And the hardest part is not hating people for the monsters and wreckage the system has turned them into: a love for what they could yet be.

-- DRR