[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Mon Jul 4 21:40:41 PDT 2011

On Jul 4, 2011, at 11:56 PM, 123hop at comcast.net wrote:
> […] what I hear you saying is that all values are relative to the social relations that produce them. If this is the case, why do people feel pain in certain situations that are socially normative? Why do people revolt? What do they appeal to that isn't relative in their revolt?

My suspicion is that the answer to this question (not from Miles, but from the textbook) will reduce the source or appeal (of revolt, etc) to some form of self-interest (enlightened, rational, … pick your qualifier). However, such explanation would, it seems to me, be nothing more than another form of a ‘nature’ argument (and invite references to the so-called naturalistic fallacy).

A bit funny that just the other day someone recommended Ian Hacking’s “Social Construction of What?”.

—ravi

P.S: not that I endorse or recommend Hacking (I might have in the past, so don’t go surfing the archives :-)).