[lbo-talk] James McMurtry - "We can't make it here"??

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 23:04:59 PDT 2011

On 7/5/2011 1:10 AM, Mike Beggs wrote:

> Surely part of the answer is that the values we inherit from our
> social environment do not fit together into a coherent, consistent
> whole, but conflict with one another.

You're right about this - but it's here that you and Miles diverge.

For Miles, our values are the product of capitalist social relations -- therefore they are essentially system-supporting (i.e. capitalism-supporting) values. That's reason #1 why we shouldn't appeal to values.

But if, as you correctly say, our values are not in fact all internally coherent, if they in fact conflict with one another, then it is not true that all values are capitalist-supporting values.

SA