[lbo-talk] Response to MG -- Was Poll....

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 01:29:29 PDT 2011

Doug: ‘You make it [Keynesian crisis management] sound like that's the dominant bourgeois paradigm.’

No, I didn’t say that, though since you raise it, most governments for the last 15 years have been using public works to keep up demand. That was why Germany supported expansion in the Mediterranean countries for many years, one reason why George Bush spent so much in Iraq, and why President Obama and Gordon Brown were keen to solve the banking crisis through increased government spending, why Prime Minister Cameron has underwritten extensive loans to cover university fee rises. I suppose you might point to the outbreak of rhetoric about reining in spending, but that has always run alongside massive subsidies to industry.