[lbo-talk] Response to MG -- Was Poll....

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 7 02:40:31 PDT 2011

SA writes

‘"Outbreak of rhetoric?" Here in the States, Obama is actually trying to cut spending by $4 trillion over the next decade.’

Oh, and how is he doing so far? I see that spending has gone up from $2.9 to $3.5 to $3.8 billion under his administration. As I understand your constitution he will not be in power in ten years time, so promising deficit reduction then seems a bit convenient.

‘I also hear David Cameron has instituted some policies to rein in spending.’ and quite a lot of policies to increase it, too. I see that the Ministry of Defence cannot account for some $6billion worth of equipment they have bought, and that we carry on buying the wholly useless NHS computer system.

‘the policy regime you're referring to can only be called "Keynesian" in the loosest and laxest sense’. - in the sense that Keynes meant it, rather than the one those wishful leftists who tried to load it with a political meaning it never had, you mean?